Employment Law / Discrimination
New Hampshire Employment Law Attorney
Discrimination, Harassment, Gay Rights, and Employee / Employer Agreements
The law firm of Salem Legal Services, LLC provides plaintiff and defense representation for workplace discrimination and wrongful termination, with special experience in claims relating to sexual orientation. We serve individuals and businesses throughout New Hampshire, northern Massachusetts and southern Maine.
Salem Legal Services will provide you with a capable trial lawyer with experience in civil rights, employment law and business litigation. She has represented many gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender clients who have been targeted for harassment or discharged because of their sexual identity. We invite employers or employees to schedule a consultation at (603) 509-9428.
Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Termination
We handle administrative actions and subsequent litigation regarding:
- Employment discrimination based on age, race, gender, ethnic origin, religion or disability
- Discrimination based on sexual orientation*
- Sexual harassment (unwelcome advances or hostile work environment)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) regarding pregnancy leave or caring for a sick family member
- Wrongful termination or other retaliation for making or supporting a claim of discrimination
- Constructive discharge (forcing an employee to quit by creating intolerable conditions)
On behalf of victims, we pursue damages under Title VII of the Federal Civil Rights Act, and/or state damages, including lost wages and benefits, front pay (future economic losses), defamation and emotional distress. In defending employers, we seek to show that the alleged incident did not occur, that it did not constitute discrimination or that the corporation took swift and appropriate action against the offender.
*There are not yet federal protections, but New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Maine all have laws prohibiting discrimination against gay, lesbian or bisexual workers. Salem Legal Services has represented clients in the GLBT community since 1991. In addition to discrimination claims, she can also advise clients about legal issues and the timing of "coming out" to an employer or co-workers.
We represent employers or employees in disputes arising from restrictive covenants and employment contracts:
- Breach of confidentiality agreement
- Breach of non-compete agreement
- Severance negotiations for executives or employees
- Continuation of employee benefits
If you believe you have a discrimination claim, or that your company is exposed to liability because of such a claim, contact our Salem, New Hampshire, law office at (603) 509-9428. We can arrange after-hours and weekend appointments.